Sunday, July 18, 2004

I'm stalking Peter Sagal!!

The last day of "furniture" camp was a flurry of activity and then all of a sudden, in the last couple hours, everything came together and what seemed to be a hopeless mess of random pieces came together and made the frame of a CHAIR. What was particularly touching and great about the chair class, was that our class found out that one of our members, Terry from Tennessee, suffers from mid-stage leukemia. His chair is his legacy to his family. He has always wanted to do something like this and so he came with no experience and in six days created his own handmade chair. Powerful! The chair is now in flat pieces in the back of the Subaru. I also loaded the blanket chest in the car as well.

This morning, I awoke at 6AM to drive to Chicago. Many of you are probably wondering why I got up so EARLY when I could have slept in. Most of you know that earlier this year I was a call in contestant on the NPR show Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and am a HUGE HUGE fan.





Before I left San Francisco, I checked into getting tickets to a taping of the show since I knew that it was produced by Chicago Public Radio. I learned that there was going to be a free taping this morning, July 18th, at 10:30AM. Therefore, I had to BOOGIE to get to Chicago in time. I made it.

Now here is the twist. The reason there was a taping of the show for free was because it was being taped in the new Pritzker Pavilion in Chicago's brand new Millenium Park. The park is on Michigan Avenue. The kicker is this...





The Pritzker Pavilion was designed by Frank Gehry


Yeah, it's quite a piece of architecture. The Pritzker was my first experience with a Gehry design and it certainly is great. The park is not that large, but it is divided into different areas and esplanades. But the Pritzker Pavilion is the main focus. It is an outdoor ampitheatre with seating in a bowl and a lawn behind.

The show was great. I have a crush on Peter Sagal, but as the show ended, I learned, alas, he's married with three daughters. BUMMER. The three guest were Sue Ellicott, Roy Blount Jr. (both regulars) and Richard Roeper (of Ebert partnership fame). Roeper was HILARIOUS and looking quite cute from where I was sitting. Perhaps he plays in my sandbox?????? But I will always belong to Peter Sagal, as he is the wittiest man on radio. It's probably a good thing that he's balding and not all that attractive because then I'd REALLY be depressed he was married with kids.

The show went smoothly but at the end they had to re-tape some segments and Sagel asked us to wait around. Whatever Peter Sagal asks of me, Peter Sagal gets. After they cleaned up the glitches, Peter (we're on first name basis now) thanked the crowd of 4,000 for coming out and then asked us to sing Happy Birthday to his one-year old daughter. He had it taped and promised to play it to her when she was older.

As I left the Pritzker, I walked over the Gehry designed pedestrian bridge linking Millenium Park to Grant Park. This is the ONLY Gehry designed bridge in the world. I also listed to some opera in the park and then I looked at this display called "The Millenium Family". This photographer went around the world around the turn of the millenium and took photos of different familes. It was a nice display, BUT I do have to take issue with the fact that there were all heterosexual familes. Hmmm, I think she missed the boat on that one.

So, you are all probably wondering what I am doing in Chicago? This is my chance to kick up my heels for a couple weeks, in the "City of Broad Shoulders". For the next two weeks, I'll be staying in the loft of my friends Leah and Rich. A BIG SHOUT OF OF THANKS TO LEAH AND RICH. It is in an area of Chicago which I think is equivalent of SOMA in San Francisco. It is just off downtown (to the West) and all these old buildings are being converted into lofts and condos. There is a Starbucks two blocks from where I am, so you know it's gentrified or well on its way.

I plan on "living" in Chicago. Seeing the sights but also, sleeping, watching tv and walking around. I'll be in this mode until the 31st of July. August 1-7, I am attending a conference on teaching Economics being held on the campus of UI-Chicago, which is a mere ten minute walk from the loft, therefore, I don't have to stay in the dorms. So, this is my home for the next three weeks!!!

Off to do some grocery shopping. See? Living in Chicago.

No comments: