Thursday, July 01, 2004

We proved that Pi is irrational!!

The highlight of today was in our two hour history of mathematics seminar when at the end it culminated in our proof that Pi is irrefutibly an irrational number!





Irrational, but well-rounded


We had to learn about how to work with continuous fractions and then do the proof by contradicting the definition of a rational number. We also proved that the number "e" is also irrational.

I've really enjoyed sleeping in the same bed for the past five nights, here is my home away from home this week.





Lamont Hall, Phillips Exeter Academy


Ok, now for a bit of Ernie Chen weirdness. This story starts with the fact that our seminars take place in the new Phelps Science Center here on campus. You all know that I have the world's smallest bladder so I see the inside of many bathrooms. So, here is what I saw. I figured out two of the patterns, can anyone help me out with the other two? Remember, these are the tile patterns in a science building.





Ground Floor






Main Floor






Second Floor






Third Floor


Ok, people, email me at echensf@hotmail.com with your guesses.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey came across your site looking for other affiliate partner program related sites, and yours came up. Not bad ranking for the terms "affiliate partner program" anyway i invite you all since im here to join my new forum! Start posting today! Makecash.org