Monday, June 28, 2004

I once did some questionable things with this guy....

After Cooperstown, I drove an hour and a half east to a suburb of Albany called Niskayuna, NY. I met up with a friend of mine from college who I had not seen since probably 1994. Andy V., a fellow Geology major, and I spent many hours in Snee Hall on the Cornell University campus. We probably spent more hours in bars and out in the great outdoors doing geological field work, but also just sitting around doing nothing and other things.

I'm pretty much a straight arrow and was in college too. Andy was one of the people who got me to do things I never would have done. Now look at him..........





Emma(4), Jack(10 months), Andy and Anna(6) V. (wife Johna not pictured)


I guess I find it amazing how great a father Andy is. I mean if these children ever want to know what their father was like in college, they should come and find me and he'll have to pay me off to not tell stories. Andy is now the father of three. When I knew Andy in college, he was living with a bunch of guys in a rundown apartment on Eddy Street in Ithaca and now he lives on a tree lined street near a country club in suburban Albany. How far he has come. I guess if I think about it, so have I, eh? I'm still shaking my head at the thought. But I'm am also sitting here thinking how WONDERFUL it is to see people that we have in our lives morph into new people (and better). Andy works as a project manager for an environmental consulting firm in the Albany area and is actually using the Geology training that he got in his career.

ANOTHER OBSERVATION
Mike and Michelle have just had their first child. Andy and Johna are on their third. It is QUITE amazing, and ultimately funny, the difference in which they handle their newborn children. With Mike and Michelle, everything is sterilized, every moment is caught on camera. Food is specially prepared and probably organic. There is a strict schedule and everyone has their duty. The baby is the focus of almost every moment of their lives. In contrast, Jack (Andy's 10 month old) is simply another child. Baby cries? Oh, wait a couple minutes and see if he shuts up. Sterilize bottles? Are you kidding? Diaper need changing? Do it right on the floor. Food? Pick a jar out of the pantry and get to it. Andy's girls are 4 and 6, and their baby brother is like a toy. Jack gets no special treatment. Mike and Michelle, this is what is going to happen to you when you get around to having #3 or #4......

No comments: