Monday, June 28, 2004

A weekend in Vermont

Friday evening, after dinner with Andy and his kids in Albany, I got into the car and drove east, across the bottom part of Vermont and up the Connecticut River (I-91) to visit my dear friend (and high school advisor) Anne S. and her husband David).

By the way, I finished White Teeth somewhere in Ohio and although I did enjoy the book was ultimately very disappointed by the ending. If anyone would like to discuss it, let me know. My current book on tape is the new David Sedaris book. It is quite funny, but I wish there were more stories about his living in Paris and stories about him and Hugh, his partner. I've had enough about his family.

Here's a montage of my weekend in Vermont.

    
Stephens Home (with my grandma rental car blocking the view)

The porch on which we sat and chatted for hours
The view from the porch
View from rear of the house
We did a great deal of catching up, talking about politics (mostly debating whether or not to see Fahrenheit 911 and we both we not see it), the Zantop killings and reading. One treat was that a friend of mine from Seattle (and also a friend of Anne and Dave's) came up from southern Vermont to have lunch with us on Saturday afternoon. Jenny K. and I worked together for a summer in Seattle and also attended the Klingenstein program for teachers in the summer of 1997. She worked for many years at Lakeside but now teaches at The Putney School, in Putney, VT. In the time since I have seen her last, she got married to Randy S. and is now three months pregnant with her first child. After lunch, we all took a walk. Probably some of the first exercise I have done in days.

Randy, Anne, Dave, Kayla (the Smith's dog) and Jenny

In addition, on Saturday night, we all went to a going away party for the farm manager of The Mountain School (the school Anne headed for many years) who is going on sabbatical. I met up with many people I know from the school and it was the first time many of them had seen me since my accident.

I try to make it up to Vermont to have some peace and quiet every year. I always am sad to leave.

No comments: