Friday, August 24, 2012

Shanghai Skyline

John P, myself, D & Joe P (the boys are friends of D's from Michigan now living in Shanghai) spent a few days hanging out before I headed back to Beijing to start school.

Shanghai, the Paris of the East.  Here we are along, The Bund, which is where the British built up a very European looking waterfront.

And the Chinese are VERY much in charge here now!

Across the Huangpu River, the insta-city of Pudong.  It is now the heart of modern Shanghai



Alas, time to say "arrivederci" to D.  I'm staying here in China and she heads back to Rome.  A great year of travel and we've finally agreed on my title, "gay starter husband"



D is always making me pose like statues.

The Oriental Pearl Tower at night.

This is more ionic columns that I've ever seen on any Greek or Roman building.

In the foreground, the Jinmao Tower, which was the highest building in China until the Shanghai World Financial Center (left).  The building on the right will top both of those upon completion.




We went up to the restaurant/bar of the Shanghai World Financial Center and this was our view!

The Bund from the highest observation deck in the world.

No comments: