Friday, September 02, 2005

Fallout 2005





Every four years, I start the academic year with a new group of ninth grade advisees. For the next four years, the group and I meet a couple times a week to hear announcements and check-in with each other. At the end, I hope that I will all see them graduate in June 2009. Yikes, they are the class of 2009. Tradition has the 9th graders go on a two night trip to Mountain Camp, which is in the Sierra Nevada foothills about 75 miles east of Sacramento.

I particularly like the trip because I, as an advisor, am simply there for adult presence. There is no requirement of us advisors to rally kids to get to their activities or to try and get them to be enthusiastic. Instead, napping is encouraged, as is sitting down by the lake (pictured above) or doing whatever we want to do. I did just that.





Fellow Math Department colleagues and fellow 9th grade advisors Paul S. and Steve G.


So, here they are, presenting to you the Chen/Gregg Class of 2009 advising group.









In the group, I will advise my third Dantzker and second Palley. It's a treat to have a relationship with families that they feel comfortable enough to allow me the honor of being an advisor to all of their children. It's one of the great things about independent schools, the family relationships. Time to carry on with the school year. If you are interested, check out my school webpage. It might be more than you can handle!

No comments: