Monday, August 29, 2005

Slow on the uptake....

The dot com boom occurred during the late 1990's. I moved to San Francisco, the Bay Area being the center of internet technology change, in 1998 and was only slightly clued in to the revolution that was happening around me at the time. So many companies came and went (hello Webvan) and most were making big splashes with their IPO's and stock prices. One of those companies that had a lot of press written about it was Ebay.

People made such a big deal about it. Everybody, it seemed to me, had an account and was selling stuff as well as buying stuff. As is typical with me, if the masses are doing something, I won't do it or approach the new phenomenon with my own variation. Essentially, I ignore it because I don't want to be caught up in all the hype and get lumped in with "those people." In time, my curiousity gets the best of me and I check out the "new thing" and find out how truly cool or revolutionary it is and declare that too the world that already knows about it. I then incorporate that thing, whatever it may be, into my life.

In this instance, I am speaking of the site Ebay. Only two months ago did I actually peruse the site and find out how amazing it is, especially from the persepective of an Economics teacher teaching about the concepts of reservation price and markets. But the economic concept I think it best represents is consumer surplus where I am willing to spend (bid) $20 on an item but the auction system allows me to purchase the item for only $15, therefore I get $5 of consumer surplus because I got a $20 value to me for only $15. I have been an Ebay fiend. Here's a list of what I have purchased (and yes, I have been furnishing my home).....

1 Single Panel Velvet Drape (Wine)
1 Double Panel Velvet Drape (Oat)
1 Double Panel Cotton Drapes (Lime Green)
1 Double Panel Cotton Drapes (Ivory)
3 Curtain Rods
2 Bar Stools
1 Queen Set of Eqyptian Cotton Sheets (White)
1 Albert the Dancing and Singing Gator (University of Florida Mascot)
1 Book (A Long Way to Fall, signed by author Nick Hornby)
60 Blank DVDs
1 Pair Born Closed Toe Sandals (yes Mom, with heel strap)
1 Canvas Tote Bag (Green and Brown Leather)
1 Soundtrack to Wicked the Musical on CD
1 Box Set of entire series Sports Night on DVD

I've slowed down a bit now, but I've been bitten by the bug! Now, if I would only figure out the IPOD.

No comments: