Monday, August 09, 2004

My candidate for the tackeiest place in America

After three glorious weeks in Chicago, I packed up the car and began my journey across the northern tier of the United States with my destination being Seattle to see my family. From there, I will return to San Francisco on the 19th of August. Leaving Chicago, I drove through northern Illinois and then up through central and western Wisconsin. This mirrored my journey to Madison a couple weeks ago. About 40 miles north of Madison on I-90/94 lies Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. It sounded absolutely lovely (Dells sounding quite tranquil) and there were many signs along the way advertising Boat trips along the Dells. So when I got there, I pulled off the interstate, filled up my gas and then went to go find the Dells. Here's what I found as I drove down the main thoroughfare of town...





A horrifically crowded and tourist trappy Main Street


This is not unexpected in summer destination spots. Think the New Jersey boardwalk and it's t-shirt shops and weird attractions. But it got even more weirder....





This building houses an attraction called "Top Secrets"






This trojan horse stood at the entrance of the BIG CHIEF MT. OLYMPUS GO KART facility. Go karting appears to be quite populars in the Dells as I saw at least three go kart establishments


But it appears that the MOST popular activity in the Dells is





Water slide parks


Along the three mile main drag, I must have seen at least seven or eight water slide parks. Each and every one of them had lines that stretched quite long. I only caught a glimpse of the Dells themselves. It did appear to be pretty and I really did want to take the boat ride, but I just didn't have the energy to try and fight through all the tourists. I know I am nominating Wisconsin Dells for tackiest place in America, and I know that my pictures might not convey the entire tacky experience. I hope it, however, gives you a glimpse of what I saw and got away from as soon as I could.


No comments: