Thursday, August 12, 2004

Further proof that I know people everywhere

Sometime during the month of June, before I left on this great journey, I got an email from a friend of mine from my Cornell years. I knew her then as Carrie R., but since I saw her last (1994), she has gotten married (husband Gerry) and is now the mother of two kids (Teddy and Emily). Carrie attended her 10-year Cornell reunion this past June and in the process went online to look up the emails of people that she could remember and boom, I popped up.

We traded emails back in June and I threatened her with the possibility of me travelling through the Twin Cities on my journey. Everything came together and Monday night, I pulled into the suburban town of Burnsville, MN and had dinner with Carrie and her family.

Now, you have to realize that both Carrie and her husband Gerry are both big time members of Math Club. Carrie obtained her M.S in Math and another in Education from the University of Minnesota. Gerry earned a PHD in Math from Minnesota as well. Carrie taught high school math for six years, took a year off to be a mother and is now returning to the classroom at a community college this fall. Gerry is a professor of Math at a local college as well.

A shout out to the N. family for being so generous and kind with food and lodging.






Me and Carrie N. (formerly R.)

No comments: