Monday, August 09, 2004

Getting Stuck

One problem I have in my life that continues to haunt me is my inability to put down a book that I am not interested in and just give up on it. I always make myself slog through the book even if I am completely bored by it. I think a compromise might just be to put the book I am having a hard time with aside, read something else, and then come back to the book causing me problems. Alas, in an ideal world, I would have the ability to do this, but I can't so don't even suggest it.

The book that I have been stuck reading is called Fugitive Pieces. It was recommended to be by Nils S., a member of my bookclub, with whom I usually agree with on books we like. This time, however, Nils and I are going to have to agree to disagree.

Last week, I FINALLY put the book away and went to the bookstore for something new. I picked up two new books, the first is called A Home at the End of the World written by Michael Cunningham, who also wrote The Hours. This book has also been made into a movie starring Colin Farrell, Robin Wright Penn and Sissy Spacek. How different an experience it is to read when one is engrossed in the book and is interested in the characters and the plot. I finished this book in three days and then promptly went to go see the movie. The movie had some different plot changes from the book, but it was otherwise true to Cunningham's novel. I encourage you all to read or see the movie.

The second book I purchased (and am not currently devouring) was Devil in the White City which is about the construction and planning of the 1893 World Columbian Exposition (World's Fair) and the tragedy of there being a man who systematically was murdering young single women during the time the fair was being held. Again, I am enjoying the fact that I am enjoying the book.

So, I need to admit to myself earlier that if I don't like a book, to simply put it down. I have been stuck trying to read Fugitive Pieces since the last week of June. Ugh.

No comments: