Monday, June 21, 2004

A Smith family wedding

The first real stop of this two month tour was to bring my friend Michael to wedding reception of his nephew Tommy and Tommy's new wife Jennifer in Genoa, NE. Genoa is a town of about 1,000 between Grand Island and Columbus. Tommy is now 24, but I met him back when he was a 19 year old wide-eyed kid from Monroe, NE. TOMMY.

Unfortunately, due to unforseen circumstances, Michael was unable to make the trip, so he sent me along with some gifts and boxes to deliver to the Smith family and told me to attend the reception anyway. Since I have met most of Michael's family at some point, it seemed natural for me to go.

I arrived on Friday evening at 7PM, was eating dinner by 715PM and at the reception hall at 8PM setting up chairs and getting the St. Rose of Lima community center ready for the big day. On Saturday morning, I biked the three miles to the center to help with set-up again. This time, I was in charge of sweeping the hall and setting out the candy kisses on the table. Big stuff!!

Tommy and Jenn actually got married last June in Omaha. He was to be assigned to the National Guard and they wanted to get married before he got his papers. Where did he get assigned? Wisconsin! Two weeks ago the bride and groom renewed their vows in a church ceremony in Cheyenne, WY, where Jennifer grew up. This reception I attended was for the Nebraska side of the family, Tommy's neck of the woods. I joked with Tommy and Jenn that they needed to dedicate their marriage to I-80.




The bride and groom






The mother of the groom, Michael's sister Chris






The groom and his grandmother






Erin (Michael's youngest sister) and Logan (Michael's nephew and Tommy's cousin)


Now, the highlight and main event of this reception is the Smith family tradition of a mock wedding. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.




Uncle John dressed as the bride






Michael's brother-in-law Lenny and the "bride"






Even though the Smith's aren't Jewish, doesn't this look like a horah?


(I apologize for the lousy pictures. I'm still learning how to use my camera!)

Who said there isn't cross dressing the heartland?????? I had a great time with the Smith family. Thanks to them for being such wonderful hosts and letting an acquaintance be a part of their family time. Michael, yes, you are right, your family is a bit nuts. But I think we all have families like this and would we want it any other way?

No comments: