Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Back on the road again.....What?

Stephen (we all know who he is now), quoted to me on the phone that to have the parts for the car expedited an to the dealership by Thursday the 24th would cost $420. At first, I was fine with it. However, I realized as I was going to sleep that I probably could rent a car for that price. I checked around and found that I could rent a car for 19 days for $650. So that's what I have done.

My original plan was to return to Indiana on July 11th and take a weeklong woodworking class in a town about three hours south of South Bend. By expediting the parts and trying to get on the road by this Saturday the 26th, I was asking Stephen and his mechanics to build me a new engine in a day and a half. That was pushing it. So since I was coming back through Indiana, I decided to rent a car and drive around the East Coast in the rental car. By 11:30AM, I was on the road again. I'll see Stephen and my new engine/car on July 12th.

I drove all afternoon and into the early evening to arrive in Ithaca, NY. Home of my alma mater, Cornell University and my college friends Mike and Michelle.

It was a gorgeous day and and I was reminded of just how beautiful the Southern Tier of Upstate New York is. Most people when they drive through Upstate New York take I-90 (Thurway). Instead, a more scenic option is to take Route 17 (aka Interstate 86) through Jamestown and Corning.




The beauty of the Southern Tier


This area was one of the first frontiers in American history. It remains thickly settled, with many small towns dotting the well maintained countryside. It's off the beaten path, but certainly should not be forgotten.

No comments: