Wednesday, June 23, 2004

An afternoon in South Bend, IN

After finishing up business with Stephen at the Subaru dealership, I hopped on the bike and went back and checked into the same Motel 6 room as the night before. On my way, I decided to get a haircut. New engine, new haircut, I saw the connection. Now most of you know that South Bend is the home of the famed University of Notre Dame. Here are some pictures:

The entrance to The University of Notre Dame



The dome on the central building on campus. This is probably why the Fighting Irish helmets are gold, eh?



I think this mural is painted on the side of the library.



Basketball and Indiana


Right on the edge of campus, literally a hop, skip and jump away from the library is the famed University of Notre Dame football stadium. One of my top five favorite movies, Rudy is a true story about a kid who's sole dream was to play for the Notre Dame football team. It also was filmed here on campus. The first time I watched it, I bawled. It's cheesy, but then again, I'm a sucker for cheese.

So much history.....



Hallowed grounds.....


From campus, I rode about five miles to get to the "big" mall that the woman at Motel 6 told me about. I was hoping to find a Starbucks or Borders to get onto the Internet. The mall was a BIG disappointment. I must say that in this vulnerable time of having my car meltdown and being alone in an unknown city, I was comforted by knowing that I was going to a mall. The greatest disappointment of the mall was the movie theater choices. The Passion of the Christ, New York Minute and Hellboy. I skipped the movie.

I rode back to the Motel 6 and saw that the Hampton Inn across the way was advertising high-speed internet in every room. I cleaned myself up after dinner and walked right into the lobby/bar and plopped down to do what I needed to do. I'm learning how to pilfer wireless internet.

No comments: