Thursday, June 17, 2004

June 16th - Nevada (and a lot of it)

I drove east across US50 through Austin and Eureka. Eureka was a great town, kept in great condition, with the store fronts nicely painted. It was the picture postcard of small town American life. I stopped in at the town museum and this wonderful woman who runs the museum gave me a tour of the printing press area, which was in use until 1960.

From there, I headed east again through Ely (e-lee) and then went to a national park, I and you probably have never heard of. It is the Great Basin National Park in eastern Nevada. The highlight of the park is a huge underground cave. I took the tour.





They used to hold dances and weddings in this cave; you can still do the latter.

I entered Utah (lost an hour) and will head into Colorado tomorrow. Here are some pictures of the central Utah landscape. The United States is an amazing place.






The scenery as you drive across America!


By the way, White Teeth is getting better. I wasn't so sure about it before.

No comments: