Thursday, September 11, 2014

Hobbiton

Morning sunrise on Day 2 in New Zealand!  This was the view from our camping site.


The highlight of Day 2 was a visit to the site where they filmed the Lord of the Ring series.  When they asked who had not seen the movies, I was one of the few who raised my hand.  The tour guide asked, "Why are you here?"  I apparently have some homework to do.

Regardless, the tour was cool.  And I'll have the reverse reaction of everyone who saw the movie first.  I'm going to watch the moving and go...."oh, that's where I walked!"

This family owned farm was selected by the director and the family asked to keep the set as is.  They are now in charge of maintaining it, although part of the profits go to the production company.  This is Hobbiton...and up top is Bilbo Baggin's home!


To be a Hobbit extra, you could be no taller than 5'4".  They built many different sized doors to provide different scale.

Bilbo's door.  I don't really yet understand the significance of this photo, but when I watch the movies I will.  The interior scenes were filmed on set in Wellington.



Samwise Gamgee's house!





No comments: