Monday, June 17, 2013

Wulingyuan

After six days in Beijing, it was time for Mom, Dad and I to hit to road!  First stop, was down to Northwest Hunan province to visit the famed Zhangjiajie region, and most specifically Wulingyuan National Park.  But every trip has its hiccups and ours came right out of the shoot. We had a direct flight at 640AM from Beijing to Zhangjiajie.  When we got to the airport, I didn't see the flight on the board.  I started to get worried thinking that it wasn't a good sign.  My suspicions were right.  The flight was cancelled. (I now am very familiar with the words 撤销)After some scrambling, we managed to get on a flight to Changsha (the capital of Hunan) but then had a 10 hour layover before our flight to Zhangjiajie. I called our guide and he arranged for us to be picked up in Changsha, taken to the bus station and then rode a bus for four hours and arrived at Zhangjiajie that afternoon. Mom and Dad were troopers!!

Wulingyuan, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.


Even though it wasn't sunny, in the morning we got to see the pinnacles and peaks amongst the low clouds.


This elevator takes visitors to the top level of the peaks and there is a path so one can look down into the valley.












This picture does NOT convey the scale or the height from which the picture was taken. I am looking straight down.

Funny story.  Both of Dad's camera batteries died.  So he hijacked my camera and stuck his memory card in it to use for the rest of the day.



So I've heard of this practice of having little fish eat the dead skin off your feet.  Here it is!

We ended the day with a walk along the valley floor to look up at the peaks.  It was great to be able to try and imagine what it would be like to live in this area and look up at these every day.


No comments: