Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Udinese-Roma (2-0)

After the drive through the mountains and the Soca River valley, we headed west, back into Italy (and again being able understand the language, it's amazing how sharp the language boundary is) to attend the Udinese vs. Roma game.  This was the reason for the entire trip!



Walking through Udine Centro, I saw the team bus and had to take a picture of it.
Stadio Friuli.  I always get asked "why Udinese?"  I think it's the underdog streak in me.  Udine is a town of 100,000 people, about double the size of Viterbo, but has managed to be a team that has been in Serie A since 1995.  It is the little team that has held its own against the big boys, Inter, AC Milan, Roma, etc.
And I, like a lot of people, thing Antonio Di Natale is AWESOME.  By the way, I now own his jersey.  He's been loyal to this club and city.  A year ago, Juventus (who I think of as the evil Yankees of Serie A) tried to buy Di Natale, but he refused the trade!

We sat one section over from the "ultras."  No knives or fights!
"SALUTI CAPOLISTA!!"  A win over Roma brought Udinese to the lead of Serie A.  I have to reveal that, Udinese played the first game of the weekend, so its lead was temporary.
The end of game salute to the fans from the players!

1 comment:

Marlene said...

Nice photo at the end! Love it.