Thursday, January 07, 2010

Arrival of the "Befana"

January 6th means nothing to me, but in the Catholic church it's the day when the three kings arrived. 39 years old, and soon to be 40, and I had no idea why it was a major holiday. Even my Mom, who apparently at some point went to Catholic school, knew the story of this holiday. However, here in Italia, it has an additional twist. The date, January 6th, also signifies the arrival of the "Befana", a pagan witch who brings sweets, light and life to this time in the dead of winter when, in ancient times, was a time of little food and struggles in the cold. So, here, in Viterbo, there was a huge gathering to watch the arrival of the "befana."









The arrival of the "befana" occurred down at the end of Via Cavour in the Piazza Plebecito. Before the arrival, a great Viterbo brass band played. Like their hats?










At the end, we all sang "Fratelli d'Italia" to which I know the words. The couple behind me tapped me on the shoulder at the end and said they were impressed I knew the words. I was quite proud!










Where's the "befana?"










Oh.....










....here it comes.










The "befana" wishing all the kids in the crowd a great day.

1 comment:

cath said...

Impressive entrance!