Sunday, April 29, 2007

"I drank myself single again"

Last night, my colleague Andrei F. invited me out to go and listen to some Bluegrass. We went to listen to The Mighty Crows out at a bar called The Riptide, way out at the self-proclaimed "end of the Western World" at 46th and Taraval. Those of you who are familiar with San Francisco geography know that Ocean Beach is a mere two blocks from this bar.

A theme you all might have picked up on is my love of Bluegrass music. Some of you may wonder how a Chinese-American like me would love this classically American (Appalachian/Southern more like it) type of music. But last night, I was witness to something even more mind-blowing. During the last set, the five guys of the band (three of then rotund sweaty white guys) invited up this young Asian-American girl to play the fiddle with them. Stop and picture what I'm describing. Five middle-aged white guys playing along with this Asian girl who is blowing the crowd away with her ability to play Bluegrass fiddle. It was a sight to behold.

Another highlight for the evening was when the band sang and played a song that had the tag line, which was suggested by a bar patron, "I drank my self single again". I mean, if that title isn't made for Bluegrass or country, then what is? If the Mighty Crows ever record that song, and it's good enough that they might, I will claim to have been there the night it was premiered at the Riptide in San Francisco.

No comments: