Monday, August 08, 2005

Blank Slate





This past Friday, we were offered the opportunity to purchase tickets to the opening night of the musical Wicked's run here in San Francisco. We obtained a pair of tickets and so we were primed for an evening at the theater.

It was truly MAGIC. The only thing I knew about the show was that it told the story of the two witches who appear at the beginning of the Wizard of Oz. Essentially, it served as a prequel to the classic by L. Frank Baum.

Because I came in with no expectations or knowledge of songs, I never sat there waiting for "the main song" to be sung. Instead, I was entertained in its purest sense. Each twist of the plot and new song stirred in me the emotions intended by the performers. I laughed and I also cried. The two main characters share an incredibly touching scene/song near the end of the show and it spoke to the importance of friendships in our lives, especially with those with whom we initially think we have nothing in common.

I can't say enough about the show. I highly recommend you see it if you can. We bought one of those souvenier booklets. Usually, I scoff at such a tossing of good hard earned money. But everytime I have picked up the book , I relive the memories of that evening. I now understand how theater can truly be a magical and transforming experience!

No comments: