Monday, September 13, 2004

Swimming in San Francisco Bay?

All San Franciscans know that our true summer is during the months of September and October. It has something to do with the lack of both morning and afternoon fogs that leaves the days clear and gives the sun an opportunity to heat up the air and raise the temperatures around the Bay. True to form, the first week of September 2004 will be remembered for its heatwave temperatures. Yes, we are lucky here in California not to have the compounded issue of humidity, but man, it was HOT.

The long prologue about the heatwave culminates in my conversation with my friend Matt. He mentioned that he had been going down to Aquatic Park (right by Ghiradelli Square) everyday to go swimming in the Bay. In the same moment, I was both horrified and throughly jazzed at the idea of swimming at such a lovely spot.....in the Bay. So I took Matt up on his offer and met him down at Aquatic Park and took a dip into the Bay.





A birdseye view of Aquatic Park and the Fisherman's Wharf Area of San Francisco. I swam in the tidal basin enclosed by the circular jetty.


I have to admit that it was pretty warm. Matt and I were quite adept at finding those areas in the water that were almost bathwater temperature. Apparently the sun heats up the upper layer of water and because it has been so warm of late, the water has had to retain the heat, thereby making it pleasant swimming. The only downside to the experience is that I forgot that the Bay is NOT a body of freshwater and I unfortunately took in my share of seawater.

This past weekend I also hung out with my friends Michael and Darren. We gorged on pizza and watched a COMPLETELY DISTURBING movie. It was called Elephant. It's a movie by Gus Van Sant. All I can say is that it was definately not a mainstream film.

No comments: