Wednesday, September 01, 2004

The first day of school

It's the first day of September, 2004 and it is also the first official day of classes for the 2004-05 academic school year. Because the 9th grade class trip left at 1PM, the entire Upper School's class day was shortened with each period meeting for 30 minutes instead of the usual 45. This year I teach three sections of Geometry, one section of Honors Geometry and one section of a new Math elective that will focus on Statistics in the Fall and Economics in the Spring. All the Geometry classes are for the ninth grade, so if you do the math, most of my days are spent with ninth graders, whom I love. The Stat/Econ class is for seniors and currently has an enrollment of five. I'm ok with the small number as it gives me much more freedom to experiment with how I will teach this class.

But one of the highlights of the day was advising, where the ninth graders I met back in the fall of 2001 have now become seniors and are looking out onto their futures. Here they are...





(Back row) Charlie L., Ryan P., Marshall M., Jeff D., Meghan B., Max S.


(Front row) Gretchen S., Becca F., Joanna L., Danny W., Nick D., Chen


(Not pictured) Matt P.


Tomorrow, the senior class embarks on the senior class trip, which will be raft the Middle Fork of the American River. This is the granddaddy of rafting trips in Northern California and I have been waiting to take this trip for seven years. You see, back in the fall of 2000, when my first group of advisees were seniors they were scheduled to raft the Middle Fork, but that year the hydrologists did not release enough water so we were not able to raft. I have heard no grumblings of a potential canceling of this years trip. I am so excited!!

On a totally different subject, because I had an afternoon free from teaching, I hauled the pieces of my chair to the upholsterer that came recommended to me and Linda (of Cortland Upholstery on Mission Street) came up with a plan to attach certain pieces to the chair and footrest themselves and others will be pillows. I have to admit, thought, that instead of going with leather, I decided to go with vinyl. I hope I don't regret that decision. The big surprise came, again, when she quoted me a price. $168. I was floored, as I was bracing myself to pay over $400. OOOPS, there was a mistake, Linda forgot to include something in the price and it came back the second time at $225. Still, far below what I was planning on and willing to pay. I should have my complete chair in a week and a half!!

No comments: