Tuesday, August 31, 2004

A momentous day

This last day of August is not yet over, but it has already been a day of great discovery. Since I didn't have to be at school until noon (as a senior advisor, my advisees register after lunch) I played a quick nine holes with my friend Dave H. (Mom, Dave is the guy who had the 4th of July BBQ you and I went to last year, he has the really nice backyard.) Anyway, after our round, Dave tells me to pull into this sketchy looking grocery store called Pacific Super for dim sum. The store backs up directly onto I-280 and looked really run down. We walked in and immediately I was hit with that one-of-a-kind Chinese grocery store smell. If you've experienced it, you know what I mean. We pulled right up the glass cases with all the BBQ pork buns and such. I wandered around the display case and there it was, what I have been looking for here in SF for the past couple of years......THE VIETNAMESE SANDWICH. I have been looking for an equivalent to these sandwichs which I devoured in Seattle. As I sit here and I type, I am eating the one that I purchased. It is good since it was made perhaps less than twenty minutes ago. To pile good upon good, Pacific Super offers the buy four for $5 and get one free. How can my day get any better?

No comments: