Sunday, September 08, 2013

The Boys in Sicily Part II

One night, the three of us boys went out looking for some adventure.  It was looking bleak until the end of the evening, we stopped into a bar for drinks.  Three women (who ended up being work colleagues from Switzerland) were sitting at a table and we sat down at the table right next to them even though the entire bar was empty.  In the next two hours, I watch masters Brian and Gunny ingeniously work ourselves into their conversation and by the end of the evening make plans to meet up the next day to head to the island of Lipari in the Aeolian islands.  I hope that someday I too will be the master of the pickup, as these two were.  It's like they had been each others wingmen since the dawn of time.

The island of Lipari!!! The largest of the Aeolian islands. And yes, the water is THAT blue.

The original plan was for each couple (and let me tell you that Brian and Gunny were trying to decide who went with whom and how to manipulate the situation so it would happen) to get on a moped and take a tour of the island.  I spoke up and stated that I didn't want to ride a moped and instead two of us pairs (notice I don't say couple since myself being gay, I was touring around with the third girl, but I revealed myself the night before) went around in a car that I drove.

Brian and his interest went on a moped!



The island of Salina, where the fantastic movie, Il Postino was filmed.  Each of the islands has it's own vibe. My ex-landlord in Rome has a place on the tiny island of Alicudi that I was hoping to rent but it didn't work out.

Along the way, we stopped for a late lunch.  Why this picture?  I dropped the knife and look how it landed.  That almost never happens....

Like a boss!!!

Going around the island in a counter clockwise direction, coming to the southern end of Lipari one sees, in the distance, the island of Vulcano.  Yes, exactly what you are thinking!

The girls made SURE we didn't take any pictures of them smoking.  Apparently mothers don't know.


The village of Lipari.

That evening, we invited the girls over for a LATE dinner and a killer game of "Never have I ever" ensued.  Brian and Gunny's hopes of further interaction never came to fruition, but it was fun to see HOW much work it takes for a straight guy to get to the his ultimate goal.  For us gay guys, it's about 1/50 the amount of work.  In fact, it's no work at all, to the chagrin of my straight guy friends!

No comments: