Friday, September 13, 2013

Costa Concordia -- Giglio

As the crow flies, the Island of Giglio, off the western coast of Italy is about 45 miles from Viterbo.  The Costa Concordia shipwreck has put Giglio in the news.  I had never heard of it until the tragedy.  Being the gawker that I am, I HAD to take a day and go see the half underwater ship!

The accident occurred in January 2012.  When I visited in July 2013, the ship was still underwater, but salvage workers were working hard to get it prepared to be floated upright!!




I originally was unsatisfied with the view from the beach, so I climbed up and found an amazing viewpoint from which to view the wreckage.

This is how close it is to the beach and the town/port of Giglio.

The water is amazingly clear!!!

So, they have attached flotation piers to the exposed side.  I believe the plan is to the float the ship upright and then attach the same flotation piers to the currently underwater side.

The Costa Concordia will then be towed (I heard Genoa or Sicily) and then dismantled and sold for scrap!

No comments: