Monday, July 23, 2007

Rice Terraces

Day 2 of biking started out on a long mountain pass that I was NOT ready for in the least. I tried my best to not resort to using the van service for a ride to the top of the pass. I could see the top, it was about three turns away but I was exhausted and got a ride (in the air-conditioned van) and then enjoyed a five mile downhill. Our destination was the little town of Pingan. We biked to the base of the mountain, drove up a couple of kilometers and then hiked up the last half hour to a small little village clinging to the side of a mountain. However, the scenery was worth the effort.





The "Dragon's Backbone" Rice Terraces


These terraces was the genesis of my week long fascination with rice. Up until now, I always though that the kernels of rice grew below the surface and upon harvest the plant would be picked and then the rice removed from the roots. However, it isn't that way at all. We see the rice here about halfway from planting to harvest. As the plant matures, sprouts, much like what wheat looks like, begin to form on the plant and it is within these sprouts the rice kernels develop. The rice plants seen here will eventually turn yellow in color and eventually be harvested in early fall.

















Myself and John Yang, my biking guide






At the lookout point, we see the traditional meeting technology!






The town of Pingan, adjacent to the "Dragon's Backbone" Rice Terraces



















Rice ready to harvest






An old-fashioned method of getting the rice off the stalk. The foot pump spins a drum upon which are mounted little "fingers". I took a hand at this, but I couldn't get the coordination right. The man in the picture laughed.

2 comments:

cath said...

I love your photos--I'm looking forward to hearing your stories first hand.

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures again, Ernie. Did you know that the back of the 10 Yuan RMB is a picture of 3 Gorges. Your visit to Li Jiang(River)area is much morein depth than our boat ride from Guilin to Yangshu in 2005.

Dad