Monday, July 23, 2007

Chongqing to Guilin

The cruise ended at Chongqing and we disembarked at 830AM. However, my flight to Guilin didn't actually leave until 8:55PM, therefore I had an entire day to explore Chongqing. The city has great historical significance in recent Chinese history as it served as the capital of the Kuomintang as it battled the Communists for political control of the country. The best way to describe Chongqing is that it has the geography of Pittsburgh and the economy of Detroit. It is situated at the confluence of the Yangtze and another river and is a major manufacturing center for the entire country.

After dropping off my backpack at the airport, I found a bus to take me back to the core of the city. I explored the city as best I could in the midst of intermittent showers. Western China has been experiencing heavy rains, and thereby downstream flooding, this summer. There was something really exciting/frightening walking around an unknown foreign city. I never felt so alone on this trip than I did this day.

I did duck into a hotpot restaurant to partake of Chongqing's famous hotpot cuisine. The waitress didn't understand my Chinese and the menu didn't have pictures. I conveyed to her the idea that she was to bring me whatever and I would try it. So, I must confess here, that I understood that hotpot meant that one cooked their meal in a specially made contraption that had boiling water and that it was quite spicy. The Chongqing definition of spicy is sinus clearing, burn your mouth, panting and sweating spicy. And that doesn't start describing it. Plus, the waitress brought me some stuff I couldn't even swallow. I am proud to say that i am an adventurous eater, but I still have no idea what the black squid looking like stuff was. The waitress giggled when she saw what state I was in and how much food was left over when she came to clean up the dishes.

In Chongqing, I also saw some indications that the Chinese have more disposable income than in the past. I saw people walking their pets and I saw advertisements for orthodontists.

That evening I flew to the city of Guilin in Guangxi Province. It is the gateway to the great karst topography that most have seen in pictures of China. The first day my biking guide John and I took a tour through the city. We went to a couple parks, but must interestingly, we found a market. Here's what's for sale.















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ernie,

Mom and I enjoyed your write-up on your trip to China. Your pictures of HongKong, 3 Gorges and Chongqing are very entertaining. Also the composition of pictures is excellent.

Dad