Saturday, July 16, 2005

A night in the woods

Again with the overstatement. When I used to be able to run, I would drive to the top of the Oakland Hills and go running in Joaquin Miller Park. Every time I would drive up the hill, I would see the signs to the Woodminster Amphitheater and say to myself that I should check it out.

I started at HRS in 1998 and only now in July 2005, did I finally go to a show at the Woodminster Amphitheater. I learned that every summer for the past 39 years, around 3 musicals have been performed over the course of each summer. This years line up has Hello Dolly and Jesus Christ Superstar as the latter show, but the summer started with Oklahoma! which is my favorite musical of all time. Scott and I invited his friend Lyz and I invited Carlos, who came up from Santa Cruz.

The amphitheater itself was a 1940's WPA project and it still retains that simplistic look. To me it felt like a throwback to the 50's in New England. The concessions were not commercial, no one searched our bags upon entering the amphiteater and there were raffles galore. We four agreed that the evening was so fun that we are thinking of getting together a larger group for a performance of Hello Dolly in August.

No comments: