Thursday, July 14, 2005

Biggest Hurdle is Done

I have always been one to have doubted my abilities with those things that aren't considered "academic pursuits". Solve a math problem. Easy. Write a personal essay? With my left hand tied behind my back. Analyze the fall of the Roman Empire. Come on, challenge me! But if you ask me to try and fix my car? Or hook up my television so it could play from both my computer and vcr. (I didn't say DVD player because this one doesn't even own a DVD player.) Dreaming....

So, I've been showing you all these projects I'm doing (like changing the pane of glass in a window) because it's ME doing them. But with each success, I am feeling better about my skills in these things. So today, I topped even myself.

Where the wall is being torn down, there are two separate overhead lights that were controlled by two different switches. When the wall was standing, there was a wire running through the wall to control the left light in the picture below. It was decided that I would lose the switch controlling the left light, but instead control both lights with the switch on the right. That's right, the plan was for me to add a light in series, which I understand now but man did it totally baffle me in Physics.

Yesterday, I went down to my local Cole Hardware and asked the very nice woman how I should proceed. Three minutes and $4.05 of materials later, I was theoretically ready to go.

This morning, I cut the circuit breaker, spent about 15 minutes working on cutting wire, capping wires and connecting wires and VOILA, I flipped the switch and both lights came ON.





Two lights, one switch!


I AM SO PROUD OF ME!!

No comments: