Thursday, January 22, 2015

AP Calculus Conference

This past weekend I flew to Seoul, South Korea to attend a two day College Board AP Calculus conference held at the Korea International School.
Built within the last decade, it is built in the southern suburbs of Seoul and has all the amenities!


The conference covered Calculus, Psychology and Physics.  My class was 10 people, most from Korea, but a teacher from Hong Kong, Krygyzstan and myself from China.  Turns out, many of the teachers had never taught Calculus before so I didn't get as much out of it as I had hoped.

However, I did pick up some very valuable information on how the test is scored and learned how to teach some topics (a special case of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, derivatives of inverse functions and I finally got a handle on how to teach LaGrange error) that I had never really understood well, so overall, the conference was useful.  The only torture?  The printed material and the overheads were in the font, COMIC SANS!  AAAAHHHGGGHHH!


No comments: