Sunday, September 02, 2012

National Library of China

Turns out, I live about a half hour bike ride away from the National Library of China

This building is the newly renovated North Building.  The Southern Building is currently under renovation



My friend Frank (who I met at the Beijing LGBT center) and I met here and are doing a language exchange.  He speaks English and I have to read Chinese.

Here's the main reading room.  It's all technologically advanced as you might imagine a modern library to be.

Umm, I wonder why the Japanese get their OWN reading room.  Is that an historic legacy?

Books published before 2011 are housed in the South Building are available through a book request system.
Next time I'll bring my passport and get my own National Library of China reader's card.  I won't be able to check out books, but I can request a book and get into the stacks. 

No comments: