Saturday, June 18, 2011

Torre Del Lago





School's Out For Summer! The weekend after I got back from Paris and had a final faculty meeting, it was off to the beach. Tuscany is famous for its beaches and I chose to head up to Torre del Lago between Pisa and Cinque Terre. As you can see perfect beach weather! Being that I don't burn, my summer tan is already in place. Those mountains in the back are the Apuan Alps.






After spending six hours a the beach, I drove into the Apuan Alps to see the quarries where from where they get the famed Carrara marble. Here's the view from above the town of Seravazza. That road coming into the mountains is the only way in and out.






Sunset at the beach.....






On the drive back, I stopped by and spent time at a black sand beach north of Piombino and then stopped by Saturnia, a famous hot springs in southern Tuscany. The springs were warm, but there wasn't enough contrast with the warm summer air. I think Saturnia would be better in the winter.

No comments: