Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cologne, Germany for the Gay Games 2010

Vern and I flew up to attend the Gay Games 2010 as spectators. It took place between July 31st and August 8th, although I left on the morning of the 5th for the second part of my July/August 2010 adventure. Details and pictures to come as they become available and actually occur.





The famous spires of the gothic Cologne Dom.






Vern and I took one day off from the action to take a Rhine river cruise. Alas, it wasn't the "romantic" Rhine of high cliffs and castles. We saw about five hours of the industrial Rhine.






Opening Ceremonies were a blast. Delegations marched in and there were tributes and the oath of athletes. Musical star.......Taylor Dayne ("Tell it to my Heart" from 1987) who is now 48 years old.






I came to cheer on former colleague and friend Jim J. who is here swimming in the 100 free (he won a bronze for his age category)






He and his teammates also won medals in a few mixed relays.






No, I didn't win any medals, this is just some decorative medal.






Diving! Here's a friend of Jim's, Andrew. By the way, Andrew's friend is on deck.






In action. Andrew and his friend took first and second.






The balance of my time was spent attending all different sports, such as beach volleyball.






Figure Skating was actually quite compelling. Here's Kai, a girl Vern and I met from Singapore who represented Sweden where she is doing her PHD.






I thought I would be uncomfortable with same sex pairs akating, but it was great and there was LOTS of humor in it.






BRIDGE! When I read that it was a participant sport, I had to go and check it out. Mom, will you be my bridge partner at the Games in 2014?






Over at track and field, this was the 100 meter dash for women over the age of 50.






The announcer at track and field had a great voice (with that German accent I find charming) and a fantastic sense of humor and then when I saw him (one the left)........






Water Polo is quite fun to watch.






I only got to see practice sessions, but I bet the synchro swimming was great as well.






I watched a knockdown/dragout match between the two London field hockey teams.


So, as I left Cologne, I concluded that simply being a spectator was kind of boring. My goal is to find something in which to participate for the Games when they are held in Cleveland in 2014. I would love to get up to speed in something like Water Polo (I don't think my swimming skills are up to snuff) or Field Hockey (alas, no teams were from the United States), but golf is certainly a possibility. All you out there reading, make sure that I don't back down on this and wimp out.

No comments: