Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What a year it has been





If you are a dedicated reader of the blog, you know the meaning of this picture!


Tuesday morning at 230AM, the bus pulled into the "Questura" (police station) parking lot to load up the kids, their bags and lots of tears for the flight back to the United States. I had my moments of mourning their departure the Thursday before when we cleaned up the school and they left the building for the last time. School was, and still feels empty without the screeching and laughter of high school students. This year was an amazing experience. I left the job in Oakland because I was bored. I didn't have the feeling of excitement each and every day that I felt here. I recognize that it's always the first year that is always special. And there will never be a first time here in Italy like it was this year. What made it so memorable? Why was it that I couldn't sleep through the night because I was so ready to get the next day started? (Well, lots of great coffee didn't help matters). It was the fact that I was learning every day. I was teaching subjects I hadn't taught in years. I waded through and successfully taught BC Calculus. There were times when I was walking the tightrope of having to admit that I didn't know what I was teaching, but I made it through. Taking Art History was awesome and gave me context and excitement for everything I was seeing. Traveling each and every weekend was unbelievable and something I started to take for granted. But what this year gave me was the chance to learn how to live that keeps me engaged and excited, how to live a life that keeps me out of trouble or even thinking about trouble and how to take chances. I've still got lots to learn and places where I can be bold and not be tentative, but I have no fear of living in a place where I don't know the language or the culture.

So, what's up this summer? First, Mom and Dad are here visiting for the the first weeks of June. I return to the US for a month. One week in San Francisco, 10 days in Seattle, a week in Upstate NY working with Lucky Dog farms and then a few days in Manhattan. I return to Italy in late July, my friend Vern visits and then we travel to Cologne for the Gay Games. I'll spend a weekend down in Bavaria with my German host brothers from 1986. Amsterdam with my friend Jim J. and finishing up in August hiking in the mountains and fjords of Norway. How's that?

1 comment:

Korryn said...

What a cool experience for you! I can't believe we just know each other via our blogs, and mutual acquaintances. Oh-and I hope we can get together before July 8th. (Kelsey and I are going to Mexico for a wedding-yay!) Can't wait to meet you in person.