Monday, July 03, 2006

"My life is ironic, yours is just funny"

This was a quote as I was ending my conversation with a former advisee/student of mine who I chatted with as I sat in the New Orleans airport waiting for my flight to Orlando to visit friends of mine who moved from San Francisco last year. Hers is ironic because I've been correctly predicting the events of her life for the past five years and mine is funny because upon arriving in Florida and watching the delay of the shuttle launch, I attended my first NASCAR race, the Pepsi 400 at the famed Daytona International Speedway.









The racetrack is called a "trioval"






The Vice-President was on hand






Members of pit row stand for the national anthem






Our seats were right before turn 1 where the cars exited pitrow


One of the things I learned quickly was that Dale Earnhardt Jr. is beloved and Jeff Gordon is loved by women and hated by men. I really didn't understand it until Jeff Gordon responded to his exit from the race by blaming the "out of control" driving of those racers around him, but taking none of the blame himself. Lame.





Jeff Gordon's #24 car coming to halt after trying to re-enter the race following a crash near with 10 laps left in the race.


I must confess that I had a great time. Just like I found with horseracing, I simply couldn't experience the speed, sound and smells of the race unless I witnessed it live. And Jeff Gordon sucks!

1 comment:

Aleecia said...

Hey! I stumbled upon your blog. And Jeff Gordon does not suck :) Thank you have a nice day