Friday, February 24, 2006

Beauty right in our backyard

Every February, HRS schedules a week long break, usually the third full week in the month. Officially, it's called President's Week Vacation, but everyone calls is ski week. My anecdotal information believes that a greater percentage of students are going to warm weather destinations or just staying home. So what have I been doing? Coincidentally, on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I had an engagement between 4 and 6PM. The three engagements different parts of the city and so I took off early and spent an hour or so walking the stairways of that neighboorhood. (Mom, perhaps we could do this as an activity when you visit in April) There is a great book called Stairway Walks of San Francisco that plots out walks in twenty San Francisco neighboorhoods that have you climbing up and down the many staircases which are part of the character of the area. Wednesday had me climbing up and down the staircases of Pacific Heights. Thursday afternoon I had the opportunity to explore the eastern side of Bernal Heights and this afternoon, I worked out the calves in the hills above the Castro. Only today did I bring a camera to show pictures.





The Liberty Street steps descending from Rayburn to Noe. Note the Art Deco buildings that flank these stairs within a neighboorhood of Victorians. (I read this in a book, no way I would ever have been able to pick that up on my own.)






These steps replace 22nd Street leading walkers from Collingwood down to Diamond.






This is the view from the top of the stairs descending from then cul-de-sac at the end of 20th down to Sanchez"






Then you look back ath what you came down and get this.






This house was owned by Mayor Rolph (1912-1931). Notice the dropoff of the hill.


I'll keep hitting these walks, it's exercise and a look at neighboorhoods that I often don't get to.

No comments: