Thursday, March 24, 2005

I agreed completely with......The Republicans

As I was driving to school this morning I heard a story on NPR about voting qualifications in Georgia. If you choose to listen to the story, I think you will immediately fall on one side or the other of this debate in the Georgia state legislature.

I know that one of my big life lessons being a teacher is imparting the idea that we all are accountable for our actions and that inherent in all of us who live in this society have to take on personal responsiblities. So for the Democrats in Georgia who make the argument that not having a valid photo identification leading to a disqualification from voting will disenfranchise voters is bull. So there are people who live in rural Georgia counties who may have to go out of their way to get a valid ID outside their county. It is their responsibility to get an ID and not have laws be left on the books simply to accomodate their lack of effort (notice I did not use the work lazy). Perhaps I am missing something or do not know the entire story, but I really can't think of any situation in which someone could not find a way to get a valid photo ID. So in this case: Republicans - 1 Democrats - 0

No comments: