Wednesday, December 22, 2004

A Taste of My Own Medicine

The following blog entry should be music to the ears of Head-Royce students Samantha W., Courtney P. and Nikki K. to name just a few. The common thread between these three young women? They have been the focus of my unrelenting teasing. Many of you know that when I get on a roll, I can be incredibly brutal in the sheer amount of abuse (all in good fun and done with the utmost love and knowledge that the victim can handle it) is pretty massive. I was particularly harsh with Samantha W., and those students who were in that section of Honors Geometry last year, can attest that I was borderline unprofessional!

So, it was Monday afternoon and Jim and I had wandered down the the Bellagio. We were working our way down the Strip to eventually meet up with Erin and her brother Kevin. Jim and I sat down at a $5 blackjack table and our primary dealer was named Sheila. Sheila was a woman in her 50's who has found that the way she enjoys her job is to talk with her players. She also, like me, has a good sense of people and knows when she can go for the juggular. I was her target. For nearly an hour and a half, I was subject to teasing, ridicule and abject embarassment. It didn't help that Jim was sitting next to me feeding her information about me. Jim, come on now, did Sheila really need to know that I snore loudly? Things that I thought were innocently said came back to nail me an hour later. NOTHING got past Sheila. The fact that I lost my $100 budget at that table and then reached into my wallet for an additional $40 to stay with Sheila must mean something. I guess I like being the center of attention. Sheila, thank you for giving me a lesson I probably needed.

On a random note, it turns out that for the entire one and a half hours I sat at the table, each and every person who was played at the table during that time was a mathematician, scientist, engineer or a teacher of those subjects. It was a total meeting of MATH CLUB. This engineer from Dayton, OH and I were fascinated by the little machine which the dealer uses to determine if the down card is an Ace or face card depending on what she/he needed to know. We wondered why the designers of the machine didn't simplify the machine to have just one button. It's a long story.....

No comments: