Saturday, June 25, 2011

Berlin







After the Museum, I spent evening and the next day wandering the city. If in Germany, it has to be CURRYWURST. In this case, deep fried with Potato Salad.








When in Berlin, one has to make a visit to the famed Checkpoint Charlie. That, along with a visit to the Museum of the Berlin Wall the next day, got me thinking about who I am. If I had been an East German citizen, would I have been one of those people who risked everything to get out? Or would I have been passive and simply accepted it, and even liked, the order and rigidity?







I'm scared to admit that there's a 50/50 chance I would have been the accepting citizen.







Can it really be today, 20 years after the wall, that the advertisement right at Checkpoint Charlie is for an Apple product? And in the area below the billboard, where the stations and used to be is now a makeshift beach where people can go for drinks? Amazing.







Brandenburg Gate at night. Peaceful and beautiful. Berlin has such great amazing old architecture and some crazy new stuff.






This block sculpture park is the Memorial to Murdered Jews of Europe.






All I could think about was how fun it would to play capture the flag here.






Walking around town, I loved the stop and go signs.






How could you not be cheered up by the jaunty green man!

No comments: