Thursday, December 30, 2004

The Honorable George V.

When I was making one of my first check-up visits with Dr. B at Harborview back in December 2002, I stopped by the rehab ward to see the nurses. As I was wheeling myself around I met this man in a wheelchair also wearing a TLSO. I had mine off at that point, but we TLSO wearers have an immediate bond. This man, George V. (a retired DC-10 pilot for Northwest Airlines), had a fall and had a compression of the T12. He had the T11, T12 and L1 vertebrae fused, in the same manner as my L1-L2-L3. George, however, had none of the issues with feet as I did.

When I left the hospital, I think I was rated ASIA C. George left the hospital at ASIA D (where A is best and E is worst). So he was a bit behind me in that regard. Also, George suffered (and still suffers) from spasticity, something I never experienced. We both were wheelchair bound upon leaving Harborview.

I try and visit George when I am in Seattle and he has made significant improvements. Look at this!





George standing on his own two legs! Go George!






Look at these two guys both with fused vertebrae! Medical miracles!


It turns out George is battling many of the same hurdles that I did and it was helpful for him to hear that I managed to conquer them. Perhaps he will too. I am also going to try to hook him up with my beloved physical therapist, Nancy H., and perhaps she can give him some tips and suggestions to help him along in his recovery. I’m predicting George will be walking with a cane within a year and a half. Perhaps, he should hire my father, my hard driving, “take no excuses” exercise coach during my recovery, to push him to do more in this work to gain strength and range of motion in his legs.

Ok, I had to sneak in this cute picture of me and my grandfather taken at our family dinner The Old Spaghetti Factory




Ernie and his grandfather mugging for the camera. My grandfather has always been the most photogenic one in the family. Who would have guessed?

No comments: