Saturday, July 31, 2004

Three Evenings, Three Shows

Thursday July 29th, 2004
FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Drury Lane Theatre, 100 Drury Lane, Oakbrook Terrace, IL

This is the show that the student I taught back in 1998 at Head-Royce was in. I have learned that this is an important part for Evan because it gets him work towards his Actors Equity Card. Evan had the role of Mendel, the rabbi's son. It's a small part, but he was on stage often and had some lines. It was hard to watch him without laughing, though. And it was also hard not to laugh because the seat Evan got for me was second row center. I was almost IN the show. I hadn't seen Fiddler since I was in high school so the story was new to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The dancing was great and I recognized almost all the songs in the first half of the show. I must say that Tevye was portrayed less as a Russian Jew than as a blase Texas cowboy, but the actor pulled it off. Congratulations to Evan on a job well done.

Friday July 30th, 2004
Sock Puppet Showgirls
Theatre Building Chicago, 1225 West Belmont Street, Chicago, IL

So you are thinking, "WHAT IS THIS?" Well, so was I. This was a Dave Fink special as he told me that I should go see it. It truly was one of a kind. Let me preface by saying this show will be playing at the New York Fringe Festival next month. That should give you the picture. So, remember the movie in the 90's called "Showgirls"? That one that was panned by everyone for being horrific. The movie that put the kabosh on the non-existent movie career of Elizabeth Berkeley? That one? Well, take that story and make it into a sock puppet show and that's what you've got. The sock that played the lead Elizabeth Berkeley role had all the hair to go with it. It's amazing how realistic a sock puppet can make a pole dance look. There was gross language and foul humor, but it was a one of kind, one you'll never forget performance. I'm still kind of reeling from it.

Saturday July 31st, 2004
Weddings of Mass Destruction
Victory Gardens Theater, 2257 North Lincoln Avenue, Chicago, IL

The famed Second City Improv group has a small spin off group that has named itself "Gayco". One of the founding members and leaders of the group is a co-worker of Aleeza's and so she wanted us to go. This was a series of skits performed by six members of the group all in relationship to gay marriage. Some of them were quite funny. A couple that stick out in my mind are the bitterness of single folk when all their gay friends are getting married around them, the concept of the Old Maid and a mother's coming to terms with her lesbian daughter getting married with and all organic buffet. But the highlight for me was one of the performers singing a tribute to her unrequited love.....Alyssa Milano. I was howling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have it's cool too.