Monday, July 26, 2004

My Personal City of Chicago Sightseeing Advisor

Before I left on the trip back in June, I posted a small ad on Craigslist asking for some resident of the City of Chicago for some advice on things to see and do while I had my weeks in Chicago. I got a couple of responses, but the best one by far was a long email from a guy named Dave Fink.





Dave F. on the left with his partner Kim C.


I began to correspond by email with Dave and we have become friends. I took many of his suggestions for things to see and do. But since I have arrived, I have been able to call or email Dave for advice on things and he has always been so great at pointing me in the right direction.

Dave and I met up last Thursday, to finally meet in person. I learned so much about him that I didn't ever know in communicating with him by email and phone. First off, Dave's life passion is theater and performance art. So a couple of years ago, Dave and his partner Kim (male) renovated an old factory in the tiny town of Three Oaks, MI and turned it into the The Acorn Theater. Right now, the theater has performances only on weekends. Dave told me about it and I decided I wanted to go see it. So this past Saturday evening, I drove to Michigan (an hour ahead of Chicago time) and saw a caberet/medley of great American songs sung by Beckie Menzie and Tom Michael. It was so a classically American night that I had a big smile on my face.

One note, the little town of Three Oaks is exit 4 off of I-94 as you enter the southwestern corner of Michigan. Remember back when my car engine melted? That occurred between exits 13 and 14 of the same exact interstate. It's kind of the circle of life for the car!

Lastly, when I got to the Acorn Theater, this was standing right outside the front entrance.





"The Modern Family Cow" from Chicago's 1999 Cows on Parade exhibit. (FYI, that is Dave's picture on the cows rear end. Kim's is on the other side.)


Note that somewhere painted on the cow it references Dave as a "Patron of the Arts." I had to ask him about this, as he is not about bragging about himself. But Dave is quite involved in the Arts scene in the city of Chicago and therefore when he and Kim sponsored a cow, I guess the painters added that on. I finally got it out of him, but a couple of Dave's responsibilities are as the Vice President of the Poeter Center of Chicago Board and as the Chairman of the Chicago Improv Festival Board. Dave F, you ROCK.

FOOTNOTE
Now you are all probably wondering what the "Cows on Parade" thing is. Here's a link to the Chicago commission that was in charge of this event. From what I hear from Chicago residents, the Cows on Parade event was spectacular and incredibly well-received.

No comments: