Friday, July 16, 2004

Progress

Here are some photos Dana took of me working on my chair.





Making measurements for the all critical armest






AARRGH, the frustration of trying to line up the spindles of the footstool so they go into their respective mortises






Feeding my desire to use large power tools






HERE IT IS!! One finished side of chair.


For those of you expecting me to have the finished chair with me when I return will be disappointed. I will glue up as many pieces that I can that are flat to drive home. I will then glue the chair together when I return to SF. I will also have to stain it and have it upholstered as well. But the hard work will be done.

Because of the day we missed because of the power outage, the last couple of days has felt like furniture "boot" camp. We have started working byt 6:15AM both mornings and worked until 7PM. It has felt fast though, because I am not feeling lost because I feel as if I have command of the woodworking techniques as well as an idea of what we are doing and why we are doing the things we are doing. At the beginning if felt like I was just doing what I was told even though I had no idea it's relevance to our project. Working "blind" has gone away.

We are able to work pretty fast in this endeavor because of the presence of all the special tools. Every kind of special machine that is needed is here at the school. In addition, most pieces are pre-cut by Brian Murphy (our instructor) and Mike (the school director). All that time usually spent measuring out wood is something we don't have to worry about. In addition, the settings for all the machines are done for it. When I have to drill a hole, I don't have to worry about finding the right size drill bit and then setting it into the machine. All I have to do is walk over the machine and drill my hole. I get to do all the fun stuff and never have to do the drudgery. It's woodworking heaven!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ernest, your blog is informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on old wood working tools, I ended up on your page. Your Progress shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future read, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this
site about old wood working tools.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ernest, your blog is informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on simple wood working projects, I ended up on your page. Your Progress shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future read, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this
site about simple wood working projects.