Monday, July 12, 2004

"Furniture Camp"

Early Sunday morning (7/11/04), I left the Eastern Seaboard. I drove west across Pennsylvania and Ohio back to South Bend, IN. I had the opportunity to see Rae and Erin (from Baltimore last week) who were in town for Erin's parents 35th wedding anniversary. A shout out to Rae and Erin for coming to pick me up and driving us all back to Erin's house to eat ice cream, play with the dogs and hang out for an hour. It was nice to see familiar faces after a long day of driving.

FYI: The book I am listening to at the moment is "The Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver. I love the book although it took me a while to get into. For those of you who have read it and would like to discuss it with me, email me!

This morning, I went to the Subaru dealership to pick up the car. It was ready, washed and cleaned up. Unfortunately, my buddy Stephen was not in, but I was charged $73.40 for a timing belt and was on my way. I must admit that when I first started driving the car, I was quite timid with it, not wanting to "break" it again. It's just like the saying, once burned, twice shy. But the car is running great. How lucky am I???

This week and I at "furniture camp" as my friend Leah puts it. Two years ago, I came to the American Sycamore Woodworking School and loved is so much, I decided to come back. Click here to see a map of Cloverdale, IN. Here's what I built two years ago:





Cherry wood blanket chest


Because I had my accident right after I built this Mike and Dana VP (the owners and proprietors of the school) kept it here for me. I will bring it back to San Francisco this time in the car. Here is a picture of what I will build this week:





Morris Spindle Chair and footstool


I would post pictures of my progress, but, well, we all know about my camera woes.





The woodworking shop


Mike and Dana have become great friends and are so kind to me. One of the perks I have gotten is a free room here at the school. Mike has added two rooms (with bathroom and shower) for outside instructors to stay in while there are here teaching classes. This week there is only one instructor so I have snagged the other room. The other seven people in my class are all staying in local motels. My sister has been commenting on how lucky and blessed I am with good fortune. I say that a person makes their luck, but I think that on this trip, I am getting more than my fair share.





Master woodworker and friend Mike VP






Dana VPt






My accomodations here at "furniture camp"


So, that's the week. I'll post if anything interesting, but for those of you in San Francisco, You'll soon see me with two new pieces of furniture!

No comments: