Thursday, June 10, 2004

Good Morning Baltimore?!?!?!?!?!?!?

For those of you who know me well, you know that I have a love/hate relationship with the city of Baltimore. I spent two years there in graduate school at The Johns Hopkins University when I was 23 and 24. In reality, I should not have been in graduate school to begin with, but couple that with it being my first time ever living in an inner city, it was an eye-opening experience to say the least.

So what should have I expected from a John Waters movie turned into a musical? A trip down memory lane with many references to Baltimore streets and landmarks. Last night, my friend Vern (one of the SATC friends) and Al saw Hairspray, which is touring the country and playing here in San Francisco thorugh the middle of July.

Now, I'm a total lover of musical theater. Hello, I'm gay! The opening song is titled "Good Morning Baltimore" and I knew I was in for quite a night. For those of you who have seen the movie, the musical is just as good, if not better. The songs were right on and the dancing was great. Certainly having Bruce Vilanch playing Edna Turnblad making politically pointed jokes about Arnold (is a last name even needed?) was quite a gut buster.

I leave you as I'm humming (good morning Baltimore......)

No comments: