Friday, April 05, 2013

Half-Built and Abandoned "Wonderland"

I came across this article about a half-built abandoned amusement park a while back.  I had to see it for myself.  So by the power of reddit, I found directions by public transportation.  It only took two hours on the subway (out to the end of the Changping line) and the bus.

If you compare the pictures/video with what we saw today, there have definitely been some structures that have been removed since the article was published in 2011.


Approaching Wonderland from the highway overpass, things appear to be somewhat nice.

But upon closer look, it's boarded up and rundown.
The choice of this location, at the base of the mountains, near both Badaling and The Ming Tombs made sense.  The backdrop is stunning.




The students entered into the abandoned facade and climbed to the roof.  There is evidence of people living inside


This appears to be the skeleton of what was to be the entrance gate.

As we entered the grounds of what was to be the amusement park, the area was littered with all these cement stumps.  These I came to realize, upon looking that the article were the foundation of the build structure that has been recently removed.

Local farmers have taken over and started farming here.

But THIS half built castle structure is the highlight.  It's amazing.  And by the way it does say, "persons forbidden" on the cement pillar.  Of course we completely ignored it.


"No photos"....really?

"Dangerous"

The guts of the castle.

So, the students can't resist the temptation to climb. And as you'll see in subsequent pictures, I probably should have put a stop to it.  Not showing good parenting skills/judgement here.

After four of the other students and I walked around the perimeter of the building, 10 minutes later, we hear these five scream.....a scream of success.  Apparently getting to the this point was quite difficult...and dangerous.  I didn't want to know.

Take a look at where they are in relation so the rest of the structure at this point.


A large part of me desperately wanted to be inside climbing around with them.  But, at this point, knowing my physical limitations, I know there is no way I could have made it. I'm glad I didn't act like an idiot and try do act like a teenager again.

He threw a frisbee off this top left tower.  I missed seeing it though. 
Helping them back down.

Just as the kids were getting off the castle, a woman (we think a local guard) came over and yelled at us.

"Any accidents are the fault of you and you bear the consequences"  In the United States, there is NO WAY this type of structure would be open to the public in this way.  The lawsuits waiting to happen.  But this is one of the faces and ways of Modern China.

1 comment:

Marlene said...

I'm more impressed you read Architizer.