Sunday, November 22, 2009

La Stampa

La Stampa is the third largest newspaper in Italy. It's an independent "il giornale" published in Torino. But this post is about the journey of me getting to see how La Stampa is printed, not much about the paper itself. It's the journey, not the destination as they say.





Yvonne M. (teacher of Art History) and myself "pre La Stampa"


This is a story of boy pisses off girl because he's clueless about the workings of the female mind. Shahana S. when you read this you'll be rolling on the floor laughing. So it starts with the fact that the visit to La Stampa was scheduled for 10PM at night. My colleague Santo was unsure whether or not, because of bus driver work rules, we were going to be able to actually go. In the afternoon, before we all broke out for free time, Santo said things didn't look good. Therefore, Yvonne proposed that we go out to the symphony. I jumped at the chance, gave her my money to get tickets, and we went our separate ways and agreed to meet up at 19:45. I'm in the hotel lobby a couple minutes early and it turns out that the La Stampa tour is on. I turn around to tell Yvonne that the tour is on and I didn't fully couch how I really felt because she immediately took the tickets and turned around. I told her I wanted to go, but she knew I wanted to go to the newspaper. My ticket was now in the hands of a student and they walked out of the hotel together. I got to go to the newspaper, but I wasn't quite sure if I was going to be let back into Art History the following week.





The paper uses 63 of these rolls each and every night to print the paper. That's about 30 kilometers.






These pictures taken on the sly, as I wasn't supposed to snap photos.






And Yvonne and I did make up the next day. In fact, she wasn't really that angry. She is a great actress though, because I was truly scared I had really pissed her off. I'll be going to Art History class this week.

1 comment:

Stampa roll up said...

Sembra che hai avuto un sacco di divertimento durante questa visita alla tipografia.