Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Which Came First?

I have a dear high school friend, Heidi B-P, who has been blessed to have worked/work for two nationally (and internationally) prominent Seattle based companies. Just recently, she left REI to go and work for Starbucks. Being the jealous type that I am, my envy of her took the form of attack. (Sorry, Heids, I owe you.) Being the public relations guru that she is, she spins Starbucks incredible market saturation as being a company that transforms neighboorhoods and creates places of gathering across the land and globe. Oh, I had to disagree. In my experience, Starbucks comes in as a neighboorhood changes and the income levels rise to support the coffee drinking habits of those who move in and live in these areas. It is not my belief that Starbucks is the catalyst of change, instead I believe that Starbucks comes in after the "gentrification" has begun and "cashes" in on an already changing situation.

So, I put Starbucks to the test. Here in San Francisco, those of you who are familiar with the neighboorhoods, the Bayview-Hunters Point area is not the vision of beautifully kept up Victorians with their yuppie inhabitants. It would probably considered "blighted" by the housing department. If you go to the Starbucks website, and type in the zip code 94124 or even the neighboring 94134 when trying to find a retail Starbucks store. Perhaps then you may see whether I am right or mistaken.

Regardless of the answer, a shout out to Heidi for being such a great and longtime friend, and her husband Scott too!

No comments: