Monday, June 21, 2004

Choices, Choices, Choices

I reached the Nebraska/Iowa border and had choices to make. If I took the northern route, I would get to see the Field of Dreams baseball diamond in Dyersville, IA. If I took the central route, I could see the Bridges of Madison County. If I took the southern route, I could cross the Mississippi River at Fort Madison and go to Nauvoo, IL to see where Mormon church was founded. Who thought I would have such choices in the state of Iowa?

I caved and took I-80, the central route. It took me to Madison County, IA, which is just southeast of Des Moines.




Hogback Covered Bridge in Madison County, IA






John Wayne's birthplace in Winterset, IA. (Still having some problems with the camera)


I continued on I-80 to Iowa City, IA where I had a great dinner of sushi. Yes, good sushi can be found in Iowa. I found Iowa City to be beautiful and clean. I think that is the mark of most midwestern college towns. The scenery (in all facets if you know what I mean :) ) is spectacular as well. The University of Iowa is located in Iowa City and their mascot is the Jayhawk. All through town, there are statues of the Jayhawk dressed in different garb.





The University of Iowa Jayhawk dressed as a ???


There is a map that you can get to try and track down all the Jayhawk statues. I didn't have the time, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the university of iowa's mascot is the hawkeyes. the university of kansas's mascot is the jayhawk.