Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Great Sand Dunes National Park


Day 2 of the drive from Dallas to Seattle had us cut through the Northeastern corner of New Mexico into Southern Colorado.  Here are the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.

Nothing to do but take a selfie as Auggie is finishing his bottle in the car.

We were excited to finally reach the Great Sand Dunes National Park.  I visited back in the summer of 1992 with my Geology classmates.  


Proof that Auggie was here.


Back in 1992, my classmates and I climbed up at least part of the Sand Dunes and then rolled/tumbled down.  I remember unexpectedly finding sand in parts of my body during the post slide shower.  This time, we each took our turn enjoying the view, but no climbing and rolling.

Angle of Repose in action.

One of the great joys, other than the view, is the chance to be in complete silence.



The dunes around sunset!  The golden hour light produces the most perfect shadows on the dunes.


The dunes slowly recede towards the west.



 

No comments: